The term menopause is used to point out the last menstrual period of a woman. However, the real description of being menopausal is when a female is not having a period for one year. The average menopause age is 51-55 years around the world, although, this can be stuck some women earlier. Women can start experiencing symptoms of perimenopause generally around the age of 45 years. However, it is a common phase in the life of women, but many women start getting the symptoms of vaginal dryness, hot flashes, insomnia, and mood swings while going through menopause. Some can even experience a kind of brain fog. One of the most effective solutions that can help to get rid is hormone replacement therapy. But then also many women are baffled about it due to the myths prevailing about HRT.
What is Hormone Replacement Therapy?
If you also wish to get relief from the symptoms of menopause, then you should know everything about hormone replacement therapy. You can come to know about its effectiveness and come to an ideal decision only after this.
The estrogen levels in women tend to fall after the menopause. Vaginal dryness and hot flashes are the most uncomfortable symptoms for some women. Hormone replacement therapy is also known as estrogen replacement or menopausal hormone therapy which is the most impactful treatment to get rid of menopause symptoms. This therapy is known to replace the female sex hormones, which are known as progesterone and estrogen. Ovaries releases these hormones which influence all the evolutions in the body’s cycle. It is known to provide a sense of healthiness and wellbeing, controls periods and moods. Oestrogen also helps in maintaining strong and healthy bones. Almost every woman of childbearing age experiences the production and release of hormones from the brain and pituitary glands. This drives the ovaries to produce ovum. And to develop the body for a pregnancy, progesterone, and estrogen are released from the ovaries at the same time.
The hormone level will fall, and it will result in a period in females if the pregnancy does not occur. After hitting the menopause ovaries can no longer act in response to the hormones released from the pituitary glands. This indicates the woman is naturally incapable of becoming pregnant and her period stops. After this, some of the symptoms such as night sweats, hot flushes, palpitations, vaginal dryness, insomnia, mood changes, and painful intercourse starts appearing. It can also cause skin changes like loss of elasticity and dryness.
When Can You Use HRT?
Most of the females experience menopause between 51-55 years of age. Most of the times taking HRT completely relies on the medical history and age of the women. It is essential to discuss all the issues with a doctor before going for hormone replacement therapy. However, various myths are prevailing about HRT; some of them are:
1. No Need of Medical Help for Menopause: This is a myth which is prevailing across huge population. According to this myth, there is no requirement of medical help in treating the symptoms of menopause. However, the fact is hormonal imbalances due to the progression of menopause can lead to multiple adverse effects on your health. The reproductive hormone productions tend to set back while the menopause approaches. However, for most of the women it is not a smooth or comfortable ride. Various symptoms might occur due to the hormone fluctuations that might hamper the quality of your life. It might include anxiety, insomnia, hot flashes, headaches, night sweats, mood swings, irregular periods, vaginal irritation and dryness.
You can provide considerable relief to your body from various symptoms of perimenopause and help your body to rebalance and replace the diminished hormones by using HRT. It is the time before menopause.
2. It can Lead to Cancer: One of the famous myth about HRT is that it can cause various cancers. However, the fact is that bioidentical hormones help to diminish the risk of multiple cancers. Even if cancer runs in your family or you have a history of cancer of uterus, endometrium or breast, then also you can use HRT to alleviate the menopause symptoms. Treatment can be formulated according to the future cancer risks and medical history.
If you are in good health, then you can diminish the chances of developing reproductive cancers by using bioidentical hormones. It can also protect you from issues such as osteoporosis which is a loss of bone density. Bioidentical hormones are known to duplicate the hormones produced by the body naturally, and it is known to act gentler on the body in comparison with traditional synthetic hormones.
Consider joining any online cancer forum if you notices any risk of cancer. These support groups are quite helpful as here you can connect with other people affected by cancer and gain knowledge from their experience. However, it is best recommended to connect with your healthcare provider to better understand your medical condition.
3. More Associated Risks than Benefits: There is more risk associated with HRT rather than the benefits are just a myth. However, this varies individual to individual, and that is the reason you should discuss everything with your doctor. According to various studies, HRT has been helped in diminishing the possibility of heart failure and heart attack. It can also enhance the muscle functions, protect you from brain aneurysms and diminish the mortality rates for younger females at the time of early postmenopausal years. Generally, the females who go for HRT are the ones who are facing multiple severe menopause symptoms. These symptoms might consist of hot flashes and night sweats which can lead to insomnia, exhaustion, and depression.
4. All Hormones are Same: There is a considerable difference between bioidentical hormones and synthetic hormones. Synthetic hormones are prepared in the lab by the scientists, whereas the bioidentical hormones are prepared from the natural sources like plants. They function by imitating the body’s natural hormone production and making it the more natural alternative available.
5. It won’t Help with Weight Loss: Hormones support in administering the way our body reacts to various stimuli which include the way our body digest the food we eat and how frequently we exercise. These elements play a major role in maintaining a healthy body weight. That means HRT treatment can support you in controlling your body weight.
Everyone should be familiar with the advantages of hormone replacement therapy. These therapies are known to present patients with a preventative and proactive strategy to the healthcare which concentrates on the preservation of quality of life and optimum human function. If you are also willing to take control of your health, then start looking for the specialist of hormone replacement therapy in Portland, Oregon.